What better way could a gal celebrate the new Sex and the City (SATC) film than Cosmopolitan cupcakes. Alcohol plus cake – I cannot think of any better combination..and they look so cute as well.
I adapted the recipe from this sexy little blog, one that I – quite frankly cannot even begin to compete with – look at those perfectly formed cupcakes! However, I was very pleased with my little beautes – and they tasted delicious too (just try not to think about all that icing and pink colouring whilst it goes in la bouche..)
Okay so we may not be in a trendy New York bar sipping cocktails but we had a fine old time nibbling on cupcakes, painting our nails pink, talking about men and sipping barrels of Cosmopolitan mix that was left over from the recipe (was rather a lot as the recipe only calls for about 1/2 cups of Cosmopolitan)
I one hundred per cent recommend you plan your own little SATC night before you hit the cinema this week laydees (or any male SATC fans of course!)…here’s how to make your own little bundle of calorific joy…
Making cosmo cupcakes:
1 block unsalted butter (heated slightly but not melted)
sprinkle of salt
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
360g all-purpose flour
160g Cosmopolitan (recipe below), room temperature
zest of one lime (or easy option: a dash of lemon juice)
Red food coloring – a dash
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Line muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well combined.
- Add the lime zest (or lemon).
- Combine salt, baking powder, and flour in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Make the Cosmopolitan and measure out 1 ½ cups in a separate bowl.
- Add in 1 cup each of the dry ingredients and Cosmo mixtures alternately, beating on low until the whole mixture is well combined. Last, slowly add the red food coloring until you achieve the desired color.
- Fill cups with batter two-thirds full. Bake at 200c for about 15 minutes or until fork comes out clean after poking it in a cupcake.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
1 and 1/2 blocks of butter, (warm but not melted)
440g confectioner’s sugar
Pinch of salt
3-4 tbsp of the Cosmopolitan (or more until you reach desired consistency)
Red food coloring
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar one cup at a time beating well.
- Add the salt.
- Add the Cosmopolitan one tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency. And then add red food coloring, slowly.
- Make sure cakes are fully cooled (you have been warned)
- Pipe onto cupcakes, and top with a straw (or a drink umbrella!)
1 vodka bottle
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 twist lime zest, garnish
P.S: If you don’t want to go the whole hog, vodka, cranberry and lime zest is still a great combo.
- Pour all the ingredients into a shaker with lots of ice. Shake vigorously for several seconds and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime twist.
So…get the girls round and start pipin’ that icin’.