Get tipsy on these fresh and tasty treats.
When it comes to booze I am a major fan of the G&T; it’s not too sickly sweet and it’s not too overwhelmingly alcoholic. A great tipple to get you feeling woozy on a warm summers eve without the beer gut or wine head. After the success of my Cosmo cupcakes I was keen to try another alco-cake recipe….and what a success this one was: A meringue-style base coupled with a topping made with my fave spirit I was sold.
It was all thanks to this website: www.yumsugar.com. From which I adapted my recipe. The original recipe came from this amazing book: Gorgeous Cakes, which I have checked out previously and intend to get my mitts on next Christmas (ahem! hint).
- 2 medium egg whites
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 110g confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar) sifted
- 50g flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tonic water
- 80g mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon gin
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Green food coloring
- Lime slices covered in sugar/jellied lime/ lemon slices (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 250c. With an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites in a bowl adding the salt and cream of tartar until they are risen.
- Now beat in the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time. Sprinkle it over the egg whites and beat about 20 seconds with each addition.
- Fold the sifted flour into the meringue in three stages, and then stir in the tonic water.
- Arrange baking cups inside a muffin tin and fill two thirds full.
- Bake for 15ish minutes (until lightly golden on the surface and still springy to the touch. Remove and let cool – patience…)
- Spoon mascarpone into a bowl and beat in the gin and then the syrup and tint it a pale green with a little food coloring (I needed about 3 drops).
- Fill an icing bag to frost the cupcakes. (this can get messy!)
- Use a toothpick to spear lime slices in sugar and pop one on top of each cupcake.
- There you go….edible G ‘n’ Ts…Life just got loads better….