Strangely I don’t think I’ve ever made a nutty cake, despite devouring and enjoying many in the past.
After a quick google, yielding of course plenty of results, I came up with this little beaute:
This was based on the recipe I found here.
- 225g butter
- 225g sugar
- 500g Flour
- 3 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 225g yoghurt
- 225g pecan nuts (or however nutty you fancy your cake)
- Preheat oven to 180 c (make sure it’s not on ‘grill’, see above)
- Mix in the butter and sugar as usual
- Add the eggs, mix ’til fluffy
- Add the dry ingredients
- Mix in the yoghurt
- Briefly toast and then add the nuts
- You will need either one really deep cake tin or two shallow ones. Grease and put in your cake
- After 30 mins it’s ready!
- Mix up the topping and dollop on each serving (best served straight from the oven)
- 200g yoghurt (can use crème fraîche if you prefer)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Two teaspoons of honey
Mix together and spread on top of cake. Sprinkle on more pecans if you fancy it.
Mistake: Accidently grilled the cake for the first 5 minutes (don’t do this at home) this may have sacrificed some of the cake’s moistness.
Result: Rather good, despite my ditzyness. Loving the crunchy nut combo with the plain, refreshing flavour of the yoghurt.