We’re making Tiramisù today….got a trusty Italian here to show me the way and I can’t believe how easy it is to make…
Fancy one? Here’s how:
You need (for four, double depending on hunger/dinner guests etc)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar for each egg
- 400g marscapone
- 2 teaspoons(ish) of cafe
- Boudoirs/Savoiardi/finger things (don’t actually know the English name) 200g
- Cocoa powder to throw over the top..
It is simple, believe me, even though there’s lots of parts to it and a lot of strong muscle action is required, it’s really not that difficult to make..
Stage one: Making the cremey thing
- Separate eggs, two whites in one bowl, four yolks in another, throw the other two whites…(unless you’re a fan of scrambled white on toast..)
- Put all the sugar in the bowl with the yolks
- Put all the marscapone in with it..
- Mix well
Meanwhile: (If you have a nice friend on hand to whisk the whites while you’re tending to stage one, if not then leave this stage til you’ve finished because you cannot stop whisking once you’ve started)
- Get a whisk and whisk, adding just a touch of salt before to give it that extra omph..
- Do this until it’s all fluffy and airy… a bit like this—————————————————>>
- Now mix with the orangey mixture
Make some coffee: You know the drill…
- Then dunk in the…finger biscuit things, one at a time, do it v quick, just enough to be soaked a bit, then put one layer of the biscuits in a rectangular or square tin
The final stage:
- Now dollop on top one layer of the cremey stuff, spread so it’s flat
- Layer on the finger things
- Do as many layers as you wish/the dish will permit…
- Then, finish with a cremey layer and sieve on some choc powder
- Leave in the fridge for 2-3 hours or overnight if you’re organised and making it the night before…(advised)