Let me and my mate loose on a bag of flour, a packet of sugar, an egg and a bowl and you’re in for a calorific (and rather messy) treat. Our friends often mock us for not following a recipe but we bat away their criticism, content with the results of our carefree cake-making ways and the results of this chaos.
You see, when me and my pal Katie get together, recipes become a thing of the past. We throw in the butter and sugar like there’s no tomorrow. However, this time we managed to tame our creative side and actually follow through a recipe from start to finish. (Of course we had to adapt it a bit…instead of using chocolate chips we chucked in three of our favourite choc bars and wow. What. a. result). This has to be tried at least once. Don’t blame me for the toothache though….
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 2 g baking soda
- 3 g salt
- 170 g unsalted butter, melted
- 220 g packed brown sugar
- 100 g white sugar
- 15 ml vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Three chocolate bars: Mars, Minstrels and Crunchie (or experiment with your fave types)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
- Cut up the chocolate bars into small squares. Stir in the chocolate bars by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are very lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Wow. So glad we followed this recipe. We were bowled over by these amazing cookies. So soft and the chocolate just oozes out of them. Got through about three in one sitting I think. Only drawback is they are so incredibly moreish!!