One of my fellow baking buddies made some scrumptious vanilla cupcakes with a gooey strawberry middle….had to get in on the action.
I followed my favourite Jamie Oliver sponge cake recipe (from his COOK with Jamie book) and coupled it with some advice I got here on how to fill a cupcake with jam. I then added some mascarpone topping to finish (my own invention, inspired from the success of the Gin & Tonic cupcakes I recently made).
You will need:
- Sponge mixture:
- 225g unsalted butter
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 Free-range eggs (to give it that extra wow factor)
- 250g Mascarpone cheese
- 50g Icing sugar
Method: Cake mixture:
- Preheat the oven, 200c
- Beat the butter and sugar together
- Add the eggs one at a time
- Add the flour
- Grease each cupcake holder (if you’re using silicon ones so they don’t stick)
- Put in the oven and you’re ready to go!
- Cook for about 10 minutes
- Cool it
- Spoon out a little bit of the middle of each cupcake
- Fill with jam
- Mix mascarpone cheese with sugar
- Spread or pipe it on the top of each cupcake