Get one of your five a day munching on a delicious chocolate cupcake.
The sweet potato cupcakes I made the other week were such a hit I was eager to try another veg-based recipe. I’ve heard lots about this courgette cake malarky and just knew it would work, vegetables seem to add the all important moist-factor to the sponge, don’t you find it so difficult to make your cakes all bouncy and fresh tasting? I have many-a-time been disappointed by a dry mouthful..
- 3 ounces good-quality dark or milk chocolate chopped (matter of preference)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar, or less, according to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and grated courgette (or summer squash)
- Dash of milk
1. Preheat oven to 250c. Grease a 9-inch cake pan, or use cupcake holders.
2. Melt the chocolate along with the oil in a saucepan over low heat, taking care – it’s easy to burn.
3. Mix the dry: Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium mixing bowl.
4. Mix the wet: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
5. Add the flour mixture and milk, beating until combined, then fold in the chocolate and oil mixture, and the all important courgette (just trust us okay..)
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan/holders and bake for 30ish minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake for about 10 mins.
7. Topping is a matter of choice, we went for a dollop of butter mixed with icing sugar and cocoa powder, mixed well and spread on top of the cakes when cooled.
Serves around 10.
Aaah, on a roll at the moment these cakes are all turning out fabulously!
Taste: The mound of courgette has made the mix not too sickly, coupled with the really sweet icing this is the perfect combo. Love it! The cakes were so jam-packed though, it felt like it weighed a tonne.
Tip? Since the recipe was all eco-friendly we thought it was only right to use reusable cupcake holders.
No need for dinner tonight, I’m so full after such an intense cupcake. Bring on the next veg recipe!